Posted in Life

What a whirlwind

We spent a crazy 96 hours traveling and visiting family last weekend.  Luke flew to Calgary Thursday morning, I took him to the airport. Then went to work for most of the day only to find that my flight had changed and had to leave an hour early. I get into Calgary around 7pm and we decided to go to one of our favorite restaurants there and have a meal. Anejo is the name of the restaurant and if you ever visit Calgary it’s a must go kind of place.

Morning one

We wake up at 3 am to get ready for our international flight. To be honest I was not in the mood. Is anyone in the mood to wake up mid sleep to prepare for a journey…I think not.  Luke and I got up and showered and brushed our teeth. We both noticed the lack of water pressure in the hotel, which sucked because Luke was struggling with the soap in his beard. Frustrating to say the least. Anyway. We fly to Houston and had a layover there and then down to Corpus Christi. The weather wasn’t great but my whole family was there so it didn’t matter. We ate and drank and walked down to the beach it was lovely.

Morning two

Next day the house was stirring quite early, three toddlers and their moms and Luke and I since we always wake up early.  It was my sister’s graduation day so everyone who was going was bustling. The babies and mommies stayed back cause no one wants to deal with screaming babies during a ceremony. Luke and I were in charge of making dinner for everyone that night. Dinner for 18 may seem like a big to do but we had a plan. We headed to the store and grabbed everything we needed to make homemade enchiladas and corn to make Mexican street corn.

We spent most of the afternoon prepping and drinking beer and taking breaks to hang out with the kiddos.

The ceremony ended around 4:30 and everyone started coming back. Man was it ever crowded in that space. We had rented a 3 story 6 bedroom beach house for 4 days so everyone had a place to sleep. But the main living space was small and was getting more crowded by the minute.  Luckily we had everything ready to go so it was simply popping everything into the oven.

We spent the evening playing games and chatting and catching up!

Morning three

We were finally lucky to get some good weather and planned a day at the beach. But this was Mother’s Day so I wanted to make breakfast for everyone. We had flour and eggs and milk but no baking powder.

I googled a recipe that called for me to separate the egg whites from the yolks and whip them up until you saw peaks. I mixed everything else together and voilà fluffy soufflé type pancakes. Check out the recipe here. They were a hit!

After cleaning up we all packed and headed to the beach. Almost immediately we broke into team to do a sandcastle build competition. Between building the sand castles, taking breaks to swim and play frisbee it was a busy fun filled day. Luke ended up picking up a golf cart to make it easy for anyone who needed to go back to the house. It was used a lot, babies need naps and stuff.

We ended the evening with my brother and his girlfriend making dinner and watching Game of Thrones all together. (We are a family obsessed)! We said our goodbyes that evenings cause Luke and I had to be up at 3 am to drive to the airport and catch our flight to Houston.

Morning four

Another 3 am wake up ugh. We had slept maybe 3-4 hours and were exhausted.

I won’t bore with the details of the flights home but two connections and 12 hours later we were home. What a whirlwind trip.



Artist, entrepreneur and wine lover. Trying to enjoy every bit that life has to offer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.